Last Updated:

Know before you go:  most important trivia about historic Mooresville, Alabama before you visit

15 things to know before you go

A well-prepared historic-places enthusiast - your visit to Mooresville by knowing these 15 fun facts

Village points of interest


”Untouched by time”

claims to fame; known for its 170 to 200 structures

Mooresville historic-places enthusiasts

Early to mid-19th-century structures

Civil War or historic-places enthusiasts, birders visiting the refuge,

Pickett fences; one of the best places in Alabama to imagine life in the 19th century (historic vibes are heavy);

Best time to go - during an event in the town or 1818 Farms.

Take a break at the Bicentennial Garden while traveling across north Alabama on I-565. Visit a charming shop; going to a wedding

PineyCreek/Limestone Bay portion of the Wheeler National Wildlife Refuge; North Alabama Birding Trail; only a few miles from Huntsville International Airport, Madison, Decatur and Athens; Only about 1,000 feet from I-565, exit 2.

On November 16, 1818, Mooresville was the first town incorporated by an act of the Alabama Territorial Legislature. A few months later, on __, Alabama became the USA’s --th state.

Not all houses are historic. Several were built in the mid- to late-20th century, and at least one in the 21st century.

Bicyclists park here to ...

Of course, the town is at its beautiful best when the grass and leaves are green and during the fall, but during the time of their Christmas decor

Good example of the Federal-style house near the Church of Christ. Built in 1850s as a blacksmith and cabinet shop. It was transitioned into a residence in the early 1900s. ?

C. 1829 Campbell-Donnell-Woodroof House on High Street on the south side of the village. Major James W. Woodroof his and wife, Harriett, moved into the house in 1853. By the time the Civil War started, the Woodroofs owned 3,400 acres.

Union troops, the 123rd Illinois Regiment commanded by Lt. Col. Jonathan Biggs — part of Wilder’s Lightning Brigade — occupied Mooreville for 14 weeks starting in November 1863. They were Guarding the railroad bridges over the creeks and patrolling the north side of the Tennessee River was their mission. Memphis and Charleston Railroad track was nearby.

C. 1820 Walton-Thach House?

Andrew Johnson lived in Mooresville as a young man and worked as an apprentice tailor. He later became the 17th President of the United States. Union General James A. Garfield preached at the Mooresville Church of Christ in 1863 when his troops were camped nearby during the Civil War. He was elected the 20th President of the United States. 

Old Brick Church, c. 1839; on Lauderdale Street; instead of a cross, it has a wooden hand pointing toward heaven atop the steeple.

Bicentennial Garden at the church; bronze plaque showing the layout of the town

C. 1854 Church of Christ

One of the new homes of Mooresville, the Zeitler House was completed in 1945. The front portico with its grand columns are shrouded by leaves for much of the year. It’s across the street from the Brick Church.

Stagecoach Inn and Tavern, c. 1820s.

its original post office boxes, numbered from 1 to 48, were transferred to the current building

the United Methodist Church sold the Brick Church to the town for $10 in 1994; the post office and Stagecoach Tavern were donated to the town (marker at Bicentennial Garden) the town owns the three buildings

Once home to businesses including ... it also has a few businesses today.

Lyla’s Little House, c. 1892, Zach and Mandy Simmons’s cottage.

c. 1840s house now a wedding venue known as Creekside at Collier’s End (

Currently home of the Southern Carnage bike shop, the building on Hwy. 20 was Bedingfield General Store, probably built in the 1930s or 40s

Peebles-Zeitler House, c. 1820s

C. 1826 Corner House; was originally a commercial building. converted to a residence in the 1930s

Peebles-Wilson-Eadon-Barran House, c. 1940s

C. 2005 house built to fit in with the 1820s vibe. found where High Street ends on the south side of the village.

The c. 1850s Church. The house next door was painted yellow when Disney filmed the  movie, Tom and Huck, in Mooresville in 1995.

At the corner of Piney Street and East Street.